Re: Questions before installing w2k or XP Dual-Boot

Michelle Storm <jade@storms-elite.net> writes:
> I'm planing on installing Windows 2k Pro or XP, on a 15gb HD.
>
> But I want to know the proper way to do this before I try it, as I can't
> really afford to reformat and start over with my entire system.
>
> Currently I have the following setup.
> Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda3 reiserfs     24G  1.5G   22G   7% /
> proc          proc       0     0     0   -  /proc
> devpts      devpts       0     0     0   -  /dev/pts
> /dev/hda1     ext3    7.6M  4.8M  2.5M  67% /boot
> /dev/hda5 reiserfs     49G   15G   34G  31% /home
> /dev/hda6 reiserfs    2.4G   33M  2.3G   2% /tmp
> /dev/hdb1 reiserfs     15G   33M   15G   1% /data
> usbdevfs  usbdevfs       0     0     0   -  /proc/bus/usb
>

> /dev/hdb1 will be what I'm going to install Windows 2k Pro or XP on.
>
> What I need to know is, when I install Windows 2k Pro or XP, what will I
> need to do to ensure that my Linux is still bootable.
>
> Is there something I need to do PRIOR to installing windows?
> Only reason I am installing windows is that there are some programs that
> I just can't get running on linux (games mostly, my stress relief), but
> also this is a learning experience for me.
>
> I'm in no rush to install windows. If I could play all my games I like
> on Linux, I'd never go back to windows.

It's been a while since I installed Windoze from scratch, especially
installing it *after* Linux. Generally it's best to install Windoze
first.

With that said, the one thing I do remember is that Windoze will
overwrite the MBR. This means lilo (or grub) will be overwritten. That
means you need to have a boot floppy handy to boot into Linux. So,
once you have Windoze installed, pop the boot floppy in and boot
Linux. Then modify LILO to boot Linux or Windoze and then rerun lilo,
putting the boot record on your MBR.

That should do it, assuming Windoze install hasn't changed since the
last time I did this.

Gary