woody only allows some local machines to connect {WAS: sshd2 strange connection problem (2nd post)}

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:20:56 +0000, "Colin Watson" <cjwatson@debian.org>
said:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 11:16:33AM -0600, matt wrote:
> > Hi all, i'm still trying to figure out why i can connect to my woddy
> > machine from my potato machine, but not from my win2000 machine.  I've
> > removed the reverse lookup requirement, and edited the hosts.allow/deny
> > files.  everything is set up exactly as the potato box.  yet the
> > connection still times out!  I've run out of ideas, and reinstalled ssh2
> > twice, but the problem persists.  HELP!
>
> Hm, maybe you should try OpenSSH (the 'ssh' package) instead. ssh2 is
> old and unmaintained, and we're planning to remove it.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

I think i will do that...but i was just had an idea...turned out it was
true.  looks like it's not an ssh problem.  if i telnet port 25 (exim), i
get nothing form the windows box.  can't connect to samba shares either.

but everything works when connecting from the potato box.

potato=192.168.1.9
woody=192.168.1.3
win2k=192.168.1.2
woody hosts.deny is blank