Re: apt & dselect failure to remove mozilla

This one time, at band camp, Colin Watson said:
> When a post-removal script fails, none of dpkg, dselect, or apt-get will
> help. Instead, you need to inspect /var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-psm.postrm
> (the script that's failing in this case), and either tweak the system so
> that it succeeds or comment out the parts of the script that fail.
>
> Plus, of course, make sure that a bug is filed.
>
> Using, say, 'apt-get remove --purge' is common advice in this situation;
> I'm not sure why, as it just calls down to dpkg and fails in exactly the
> same way.

In this case, I thought he was working strictly from dselect, and
(occasionally) I have seen some of the higher level apps not handle
ordering of removals or installs properly.  I thought that moving one
level of abstraction lower might help, but he had already tried.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Providence, New Jersey, is one of the   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | few cities where Velveeta cheese        |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | appears on the gourmet shelf.           |