Re: apt & dselect failure to remove mozilla

This one time, at band camp, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls said:
> Hello:
>
> I was unable to get mozilla to run.  It did not complain when I attempted
> launch from an xterm, nor did it run.  I finally decided to remove mozilla
> and its parts and reinstall it.  That is where I ran into problems.  During
> the reinstall, x crashed while downloading mozilla and mozilla-psm.  I
> restarted x and then dselect in another xterm.  dselect complained that the
> mozilla-psm file was corrupt.  I tried to purge it so I could start over
but
> it simply will not.  I will paste some details below.
>
> Question, is there a way to force a package that is now selected for
removal
> out of the system?  I have gone so far as looking into dpkg (force items)
and
> it still fails.  Right now, it looks like it is trying to *create* symlinks
> (like it was being installed) even though apt is trying to remove it.  Any
> help would be much appreciated.

Try apt-get remove --purge mozilla

That should force the removal of mozilla-psm and anything else that
depends on it.

As for your first problem, mozilla not running, let's see what we can
do.  Debian uses the alternatives system for mozilla (so you could have
multiple versions installed, if you want), so:

steve:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/mozilla*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           25 2002-09-16 22:05 /usr/bin/mozilla
- -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla
- -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         5870 2002-09-13 08:22
/usr/bin/mozilla-1.1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           40 2002-09-16 22:05
/usr/bin/mozilla-xremote-client -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-xremote-client
- -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         8836 2002-09-13 08:23
/usr/bin/mozilla-xremote-client-1.1

(sorry for the ugly wrap)

Once you get mozilla successfully purged and reinstalled, check that the
symlinks point to an actual binary that can be run.  If not (as root)
use update-alternatives to fix it.
- --
|  Stephen Gran                  | The first Rotarian was the first man to   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | call John the Baptist "Jack."   -- H.L.   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Mencken                                   |
- ----end list reply----

Stephen:

I already tried this approach.  I also attempted to use dselect, then, as a
last ditch resort, I tried with dpkg directly.  These all failed.  BTW, I
always use the --purge option anyway to make sure I remove any config files.

This is why I am asking for more fundamental help.  I can try to find the deb
and deleting it, but that will not satisfy the package management system and
will only confuse it.  What I need is a way to force Debian to get over this
failed install/removal and purge it.

Is there a way?  At this point, I think this breakage will effect my system's
ability to follow updates/upgrades since it will always stop at this point
with mozilla.

BTW, I am reading debian-user via the web archive since I am not currently
subscribed.  Sorry if it is ugly.

tia

- --

Jaye Inabnit<ARS ke6sls>A Debian-Gnu/Linux user
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!