Help with monitor/video config

Hi folks, I'm pretty new to the Linux world and I need some help configuring Debian (3.0r0). I've used RedHat 8 with the 2.4 kernel and had no problems, but I was looking for a more lean distro and decided to try Debian. The installation went without a hitch, except that once it's done and I try to launch KDE, X, or Gnome, it won't let me in. For KDE and Gnome the error reads something like "Cannot connect to X-server. Value for $DISPLAY not set." The error message for X is more telling. It says something like "Monitor found, but no useful configuration. <some other stuff> No monitor found." At first I figured it was a problem with my video card (Elsa Gladiac - nVidia GeForce 2 GTS) not being installed properly, but when I try to launch X it clearly says that it detects my GeForce 2 GTS card, so then I thought maybe the monitor wasn't set properly. I went into xf86config and messed around with the settings but nothing worked. Anybody know what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks in advance!
Relevant hardware:
Asus a7v motherboard w/Athlon 1000 MHz
Elsa Gladiac GeForce 2 GTS
Viewsonic A75f monitor
The hard disk is running off a Promise ata100 channel that came built into the motherboard. Apparently only the 2.4 kernel contains support for it, so that's what I'm using.

-Matt