Re: Help with monitor/video config

This one time, at band camp, Matt Tulini said:
> Hi folks, I'm pretty new to the Linux world and I need some help
> configuring Debian (3.0r0).  I've used RedHat 8 with the 2.4 kernel
> and had no problems, but I was looking for a more lean distro and
> decided to try Debian.  The installation went without a hitch, except
> that once it's done and I try to launch KDE, X, or Gnome, it won't let
> me in.  For KDE and Gnome the error reads something like "Cannot
> connect to X-server.  Value for $DISPLAY not set."  The error message
> for X is more telling.  It says something like "Monitor found, but no
> useful configuration.   <some other stuff>  No monitor found."  At
> first I figured it was a problem with my video card (Elsa Gladiac -
> nVidia GeForce 2 GTS) not being installed properly, but when I try to
> launch X it clearly says that it detects my GeForce 2 GTS card, so
> then I thought maybe the monitor wasn't set properly.  I went into
> xf86config and messed around with the settings but nothing worked.
> Anybody know what's going on and how to fix it?  Thanks in advance!
>
> Relevant hardware:
> Asus a7v motherboard w/Athlon 1000 MHz
> Elsa Gladiac GeForce 2 GTS
> Viewsonic A75f monitor
>
> The hard disk is running off a Promise ata100 channel that came built
> into the motherboard.  Apparently only the 2.4 kernel contains support
> for it, so that's what I'm using.

Try posting relevant error messages (from /var/log/XFree86.*.log,
~/.xsession-errors, screen messages, etc.)  Post as much information as
seems helpful, and post verbatim - it may mean something to other
people.  It's hard to tell exactly what the problem is the way it is
curently written.

It sounds like when you're trying to start KDE and GNOME, you don't
already have an X session running, so there's nothing for them to
connect to.  That is to be expected.  We'll get your X server configured
and running first, and then they ought to run.

The first thing to try would be `dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86` -
that will walk you through the configuration for your X server, and
hopefully produce a config file that is useful.  See how that goes, and
if you're still having problems, write back.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | I'm so miserable without you, it's almost |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | like you're here.                         |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                           |