Re: Help with monitor/video config

hey matt,

i feel your pain for X.  i've done lots of installations for all kinds
of different machines and people, and the only consistant hitch
has been getting X going.  and in most cases, it's because of the
video card being nvidia (when the machine is i386 anyways).  it's not
that hard to get working once you know what to do, you just have to do
the following:

- roll your own kernel with make-kpkg, or at least install the
  kernel-headers package for your kernel version
# apt-get install kernel-headers-2.x.x
- install the following packages:
# apt-get install nvidia-glx-src nvidia-kernel-src
- extract the nvidia module source
# cd /usr/src && tar xvfz nvidia-kernel-src.tar.gz
- build the kernel module for the nvidia card
# cd /usr/src/linux && make-kpkg modules_image
- then in /usr/src you should have a .deb package for nvidia kernel
# cd /usr/src && dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-2.x.x_rev_i386.deb
- then install the glx stuff
# cd /usr/src/nvidia-glx_version && dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
  nvidia-glx and ends with .deb
- finally, reconfigure X, which i strongly recommend that you do with
  debconf
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

there should be a new driver entry when it asks you for your video
card driver, like nvidia or nvdriver or something (not nv), choose
that, and you should be on your way.

hth
	sean