Re: ide-scsi and initrd

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, David P James wrote:

> Bob Hauck was roused into action on 2002-11-22 08:01 and wrote:

> > When I upgraded, that stopped working because the ide-cd driver is now a
> > module.  So I added an /etc/modultils entry "cdrw" per the CD-Writing
> > HOWTO:
> >
> > options ide-cd ignore="hdb hdc"
> > alias scd1 sr_mod
> > pre-install sg       modprobe ide-scsi
> > pre-install sr_mod   modprobe ide-scsi
> > pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd
>

> > That "works" in that all the right modules get loaded, but I still can't
> > use the cd burner.

> I've got practically the same setup and configuration (including a SCSI
> HD and card) and the same problems.

Ok, I think I've got a handle on this.  First, with the 2.4.18-686-smp
kernel the "append=hdb=ide-scsi" thing doesn't work.  The reason being
that ide-cd is a module rather than being built into the kernel as it was
with 2.2 kernels and the bf2.4 kernel that's installed by default.

Next, the reason I was getting a spew of error messages with the above
modutils options was that ide-cd does not like it if you tell it to ignore
all of the ide devices in the system.  If I gave it only one device to
ignore the error messages went away.

I think the reason why ide-cd was getting loaded at all was because I was
calling hdparm to enable DMA (which my previous 2.2 kernel did not turn on
by default) and make sure the cd-rom devices were in the best mode.

So what I did was this:

1.  Built a new initrd.img with just the drivers I need to boot.  I put
this list in /etc/mkinitrd/modules:

ext3
aic7xxx

Then I ran:

"mkintrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-686-smp /lib/modules/2.4.18"

to build a new initial ramdisk image, followed by "lilo" to make sure lilo
knew where it was.  This seems to have returned everything to the initial
working state I had after first upgrading to 2.4.18-686-smp.

2.  In /etc/modultils/cdrw:

alias ide-cd off

I have no ide devices except for my cd-rom and cd-rw and I want both of
them to be treated as scsi so they will show up in kreatecd.  Thus I don't
need ide-cd.  If you have some ide devices that you want to be treated as
ide, then I think you'll need to put "options ide-cd ignore=hdb" instead
as suggested in the CD-Writing-HOWTO.  Then run update-modules.

3.  Added these modules to /etc/modules:

ide-probe-mod
ide-scsi

The ide-probe-mod causes the two ide devices to exist as /dev/hdb and
/dev/hdc so that hdparm will work, but it doesn't load any cd-rom support.

Now everything works fine.  The "sg" and "sr_mod" modules seem to get
loaded automagically when I try to write to a cd.  The rest of my settings
in /etc/modutils are basically stock, except for one to load NVdriver for
my NVidia card.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking