Re: ide-scsi and initrd

Bob Hauck was roused into action on 2002-11-22 08:01 and wrote:
I just upgraded one of my machines to kernel-image-2.4.18-686-smp.  This
box has an IDE cd burner that previously worked with 2.2.20-udma100-ext3.
It also has a regular IDE cd-rom that I've been treating as a scsi device
just because.  All filesystems are on SCSI (Adaptec on the motherboard).
For the 2.2.20 kernel, I had the following line in /etc/lilo.conf:

append="hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"

And then installed ide-scsi from /etc/modules.

When I upgraded, that stopped working because the ide-cd driver is now a
module.  So I added an /etc/modultils entry "cdrw" per the CD-Writing
HOWTO:

options ide-cd ignore="hdb hdc"
alias scd1 sr_mod
pre-install sg       modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod   modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd

That "works" in that all the right modules get loaded, but I still can't
use the cd burner.  It seems that ide-cd is getting loaded earlier in the
boot process and grabbing the cd-rom devices.  I mounted the initr.img and
looked around and it appears that for some reason ide-cd is getting loaded
in the loadmodules script.

I've got practically the same setup and configuration (including a SCSI HD and card) and the same problems. Despite having "hdb=ide-scsi" in my grub config file ide-cd is still getting loaded first. So I have to manually run 'rmmod ide-scsi' and then 'insmod ide-scsi', which for some reason actually works. Just plain silly.

--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV