Re: Help! Debian unbootable after XP re-install :-(

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:27:25 +1300, Haralambos <haralambos@ihug.co.nz>
wrote:

>Hi yall,
>
>not a pretty site down here....
>
>I've tried rescue root=/dev/hda3  (this changed from the previous
>/dev/hda4)
>
>I've tried going into ash, the Bourne shell clone & re-running lilo,
>only go get back "invalid argument."
>
>But, but, there is a perfectly fine root partition @ /dev/hda3...!
>
>I've tried the Tux installer, to re-run lilo, same "invalid argument...."
>
>When I try to boot, with my boot floppy or was it rescue (?), anyways,
>error message reads "Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=
>option to kernel."
>
>Well, I am not panicking just yet (Kernel is-surely both panicking would
>be baaaad!), mild apprehension & some effects of sleep deprivation.....
>
>*BFN*
>
>Greek Geek  :-)

So I take it you've done fsck /dev/hda3, and you can mount /dev/hda3
and /sbin/init still seems to be there? I've had this message because:
1) init is still there, but corrupted
2) Upgrading from 2.2 kernel to 2.4 requires upgraded init, which 2.2
rescue kernel doesn't like
3) shared libraries are corrupted.
As for the "invalid argument", I can't help because I don't use lilo,
but you haven't said what argument it might be moaning at - or is that
part of your question?

Pigeon