Re: [OT] undeleting on FAT32

Tim Dijkstra wrote:

Hi,

This is slightly OT, but the file _was_ deleted with rm ;)

OK, so here's the problem: My girlfriend accidently deleted a file on a
windows drive (which is not backuped). We managed to find 'cluster' and
size of this file, now can I copy it somehow with this info. Perhaps
with dd? Just shooting in the dark here...

Thnx Tim

If it were FAT16, and if the file had been deleted by DOS (circa version 3 - 7), there's a DOS utility (circa version 5 or 6) named UNDELETE you could use, if no part of the file has been written over. In such a case, DOS only removes the entry for the file from the FAT, and deletes the first character of the name. The UNDELETE restores the file, minus the first character, which has to be manually supplied by the user during the UNDELETE process.

Having said that, you're on FAT32, in addition to using Linux to delete the file, so I can't say whether this method might or might not help.

Kent