Re: Visual notice for X

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:49:20 +1100
Rob Weir <rweir@softhome.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:04:25AM -0600, Gerald Livingston wrote:
> > I'm working with osd_cat from the xosd packages right now. But since
> > it backgrounds and doesn't open an actual window I haven't figured a
> > way to make it stick until I dismiss it. It's timed right now
> > depending on the command line.
>
> xmessage sounds like what you want.  Maybe combine it with bblaunch if
> you need stickiness.
>
> -rob

Thank you Rob.

That is exactly what I was looking for. I'm glad I started the thread
though, osd_cat looks like a neat toy to play with for adding completion
notices to scripts that I background. The transparency allows me to get
the notice without interrupting what I'm doing in the foreground (which
is what annoys me about instant message programs -- they tend to pop up
and grab the mouse/keyboard focus -- I only want that to happen for one
specific person).

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com