Visual notice for X

Is there something that can be run in X that will force a "visual"
notice of an event regardless of what window you happen to be looking
at? I am usually in X now and always run apps maximized so changing the
root background with xsetroot won't work (had considered that). Audio is
out because I usually have the volume turned down because I share this
room.

Thanks,

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com