Re: Visual notice for X

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 23:41:01 -0500
Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Gerald Livingston said:
> > What I am searching for is a way for my girlfriend to let me know
> > she has arrived home from work without having to telephone me. It is
> > a toll call for her to call me, but not a toll call for me to call
> > her. I may go for hours without actually reading my email so that is
> > rather useless. and I do not like to leave gAIM or EveryBuddy
> > active. She is the only person I chat online with so I don't want
> > them using rescources or popping up in an annoying fashion when
> > others choose to send an IM that I am not interested in responding
> > to.

> You can use any of the standard email notification programs - if you
> use GNOME, there's a panel applet - and filter the desired email to,
> say,~/Mail/Honey_Im_Home.  Have the biff clone watch that folder only,
> and that should do it.  I think the GNOME one will even play a sound
> when new mail arrives.

I'll have to look into that. I have procmail sorting to Maildir folders
because I use an IMAP server locally. If it reports on more than mail
specifically from her I would soon begin to ignore it.

I'm working with osd_cat from the xosd packages right now. But since it
backgrounds and doesn't open an actual window I haven't figured a way to
make it stick until I dismiss it. It's timed right now depending on the
command line.

Fairly nice but I'll have to select a text color and font that will show
over most anything as the backfround colors in the various apps I use
aren't consistent.

I suppose I just need to go ahead and learn enough TK to write a small
program of my own that will open a separate message window when called,
something that will persist until closed. Could probably read through
the CDRToaster source to learn that much. I've already managed to resize
it's internal box sizes (audio track list wasn't wide enough) and
modified most of the text for the heck of it.

Thanks,

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com