Re: OT: Politics of Java

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 10:04:30PM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
| On Wednesday 20 November 2002 21:06, Kent West wrote:
| >
| > I'm just curious; do other folks (particularly real developers, not just
| > tinkerer-wanna-be's like myself) have a similar problem with Java, or
| > have I just been channeling too much RMS lately?

I would avoid java if I wasn't require to use it in class and at work.
Since I am required, use this apt sources line and install the
'j2sdk1.4' package.
   deb ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/debian/ sid main non-free

| If you are looking for an easy, fun, quick to learn language give Python a | try.

I agree here.  In fact, python is older, more cross-platform and more
OO than java is.  All it lacks is the marketing budget of Sun.

-D

Shaleh was the one to plug python first. But what dman says here gets my attention. Do others concur that python is more cross-platform and more OO than java? What are the disadvantages with python as opposed to java? Why would someone pick java over python then? Is it only because of marketing, as dman says?

Kent