RE: OT: Politics of Java

We're really really off topic here. Personally, I like Java better but this
is personal preference.

Java:
  - Owned by sun
  + Well spec'd from the beginning
  - Huge. standard libraries have lots of useless crap
  o Unicode-16 is std string representation. Good for i18n, bad for
performance.
  + Well integrated thread and lock support.
  + Latest VMs are very fast
  + Real garbage collector
  o C syntax
  o Some non-object types. Helpful for performance.

Python:
  + Free. Very free.
  - Reference counting collector.
  o Simple syntax. Easy to learn but limits sophisticated stuff.
  + 8 bit strings by default
  - VM is bytecode only, relatively slow
  + Many libraries available but not part of core. Just get what you need.
  - Object attributes live in hashes. Very dynamic but very slow.
  o Everything is an object. Helpful for development.

Both languages are still evolving rapidly and both are pretty nice. I would
never say either is better in general. It depends on what you want to do.
Either language would make a good choice for a learning language as neither
demands you learn bad habits to get work done.

And no one says you have to learn just one language.

I would say if you are sitting at the end of a slow pipe, you should
download python. You could be waiting for hours before you get Java
downloaded. As a professional, the choice of language is often made before I
get hired so I have to be flexible and rather agnostic.