Re: OT: Politics of Java

On 21/11/02 Kent West did speaketh:

> Shaleh was the one to plug python first. But what dman says here gets my
> attention. Do others concur that python is more cross-platform and more
> OO than java? What are the disadvantages with python as opposed to java?
> Why would someone pick java over python then? Is it only because of
> marketing, as dman says?

    No. Python is a great language, but it is a scripting language in the same
solution space as Perl. Java scales better to large projects, like C++ does,
due to its strict rules and strong typing.

    Python _is_ a blast though. I'm the webmaster for this site
http://opag.ca, and everything there is done in Python. Zope is also well
worth looking at, if you buy into the whole "web services" rant coming from
the Java and .NET backers.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix