Re: ide-scsi emulation fails due to missing module sr_mod in kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4

Eduard Bloch wrote:
#include <hallo.h>
* Donald R. Spoon [Sun, Nov 17 2002, 06:31:16PM]:

I just had to go through this here, so I had better reply while it is "fresh" in my rather ancient mind! <grin>.

The 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel is a "special" kernel that has been stripped of

Please? It is the most fat kernel.

Quite correct. My installed 2.4.18bf2.4 KERNEL is around 1.263339 Megabytes while the the 2.4.19 KERNEL from the Debian "kernel-image" package is only 648,885 Kilobytes. The difference in size is due to the fact that the former has many more "drivers" compiled into the kernel (more monolithic) while the latter has those compiled as modules. The word "fat" is a relative term depending upon usage and conditions. The former fits quite nicely on a single floppy, while the latter + the initrd.img file (required to boot this kernel, 2.715648 Megabytes) will not. What I was meaning to say was that an installed Woody system using the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel does not use initrd during bootup AFTER the install. All of the "kernel-image" packages I have tried do use it, but then I have not used every single one available on the Debian archives.

a lot of stuff so it will fit on a boot-floppy for install purposes. Several of the more basic drivers are compiled into the kernel, it isn't set up to use initrd, and modules not needed for installation have been

Please? How do you think the boot-floppies should work without initrd?

Perhaps they can work the way the Boot Floppy HOWTO describes? This may require a "ramdisk" but not necessarily initrd. I dunno just how Debian does their boot-floppies, so I really cannot answer this question.

removed. In lots of circumstances it will NOT be suitable for long-term use beyond the initial install, as you have found out.

Please? I was working for a long time with this kernel. Only the "fun
stuff" like Joystick drivers or IPv6 is stripped.

And the sr_mod module among other things. I have used it for quite a while too, and most of the "everyday" stuff an average "home" user is there. I just happened to be in the same boat as the original author in wanting to get my CD Burner going and couldn't find the necessary module!

pre-compiled kernel-image debs will be a bit faster for you. I used the "kernel-image-2.4.19-686 package out of "testing", but I believe you will only get a 2.4.18 package if you stick to "Woody" or "Stable".

Benchmarks, Watson, gimme benchmarks...

These are rough estimates based on my personal experiences:

Downloading and installing a "kernel-image" package via apt-get and a Cable Modem Internet connection takes about 5 minutes for me to complete.

Scenario 1: Assume you already have the necessary packages installed to compile a kernel and know how to do it, then:
d/l and installing the source --> 5 min
setup (unarchiving and making links) --> 2 min
make config --->  Highly variable (2 to 30 min)
Compiling Kernel ---> 15 to 20 minutes on my computer
Compiling Modules ---> 5 to 10 minutes on my computer
Setup and install ---> 5 min
Total Time for me is roughly 30 to 40 minutes. I can cut this in half by using kernel-package (kpkg).

Scenario 2: Assume you don't have the necessary packages to compile and you have never compiled anything before..... It took me weeks!!! <grin>. YMMV...

IMHO, installing the pre-built kernel-image package is "faster" than either scenario 1 or 2. The trade-off is you get the "one-size-fits-all" install, which is significantly larger, and perhaps a bit more complex to use than you you can make by compiling your own kernel. I can live with that.

Is that a good enough "benchmark"? Sorry, I will absolutely NOT conduct a series of timed-studies to fine-tune it <grin>.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-