Re: downgrading libc6 ?

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 10:38:51AM +1030, Tom Cook wrote:
> On  0, nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:
> > I would backup any data you really want if possible before attempting
> > this, technically I don't think its supported, but it is possible at
> > least in my experience.
>
> I've successfully downgraded a whole system from unstable to stable by
> setting the pin-priority of stable over 1000 in /etc/apt/preferences
> and using apt-get dist-upgrade.  Shouldn't this sort of thing work to
> downgrade any unstable packages on the system?

Yes, you can easily do this with apt.  With the config shown below I can
easily run [1] to do what you want.  BTW, the -u option gives you more
information on what is happening, and -t won't work unless you change the
preferences file temporarily.

Mike

[1]
apt-get -u install libc6/stable locales/stable

/etc/apt/preferences:
package: *
pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 800