Re: downgrading libc6 ?

Frisurf said:
> A question for a friend of mine: is it possible to downgrade libc6. he
> upgraded libc6 on his stable machine using the unstable's version. He
> encountered some problems trying to downgrade (installing the former
> .deb). A conflict with libdb1-compat  .
>
> I read in an old forum (August 2001) that downgrading libc6 is not
> supported. Is that true?

if libc6 is the ONLY thing he installed it may be possible to force
downgrade. one of my friends installed the unstable of libc6 version
on a potato system about 8 months ago because he thought he could do
this to run the new mailman. of course many things broke. I was able
to manually download and install the potato version of libc6 on his
system with dpkg -i --force-depends --force-overwrite(i think thats
it) and the system didn't flinch, no problems after that until the
2 disks failed 3-4 months later.

I would backup any data you really want if possible before attempting
this, technically I don't think its supported, but it is possible at
least in my experience.

nate