Re: downgrading libc6 ?

On  0, nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:
> Frisurf said:
> > A question for a friend of mine: is it possible to downgrade libc6. he
> > upgraded libc6 on his stable machine using the unstable's version. He
> > encountered some problems trying to downgrade (installing the former
> > .deb). A conflict with libdb1-compat  .
> >
> > I read in an old forum (August 2001) that downgrading libc6 is not
> > supported. Is that true?
>
> if libc6 is the ONLY thing he installed it may be possible to force
> downgrade. one of my friends installed the unstable of libc6 version
> on a potato system about 8 months ago because he thought he could do
> this to run the new mailman. of course many things broke. I was able
> to manually download and install the potato version of libc6 on his
> system with dpkg -i --force-depends --force-overwrite(i think thats
> it) and the system didn't flinch, no problems after that until the
> 2 disks failed 3-4 months later.
>
> I would backup any data you really want if possible before attempting
> this, technically I don't think its supported, but it is possible at
> least in my experience.

I've successfully downgraded a whole system from unstable to stable by
setting the pin-priority of stable over 1000 in /etc/apt/preferences
and using apt-get dist-upgrade.  Shouldn't this sort of thing work to
downgrade any unstable packages on the system?

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"Chaos Theory is a new theory invented by scientists panicked by the thought that the public were beginning to understand the old ones."
	- Mike Barfield

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au