Re: downgrading libc6 ?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:58:18 -0800 (PST), "nate"
<debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:

>Frisurf said:
>> A question for a friend of mine: is it possible to downgrade libc6. he
>> upgraded libc6 on his stable machine using the unstable's version. He
>> encountered some problems trying to downgrade (installing the former
>> .deb). A conflict with libdb1-compat  .
>>
>> I read in an old forum (August 2001) that downgrading libc6 is not
>> supported. Is that true?
>
>if libc6 is the ONLY thing he installed it may be possible to force
>downgrade. one of my friends installed the unstable of libc6 version
>on a potato system about 8 months ago because he thought he could do
>this to run the new mailman. of course many things broke.

Yeah. This is a PITA. Want a new package? Sure, but you need a new C
library. But what about all my other packages? They'll all break,
you'll have to get new versions. I don't want new versions, the
current versions work just fine and I've got better things to do than
download and reinstall half the system. Well, tough shit.

C'mon. This is Linux, not Windoze. There must be some way to install
BOTH libraries and tell the dynamic linker which one goes with which
package. This isn't the OS which tells you "no, you can't do that and
we're not going to tell you what's wrong or what to do about it". This
is the "you can do anything short of solving the halting problem by
editing some file with a text editor" OS.

Isn't it?

Pigeon