Re: SVG-based presentation program?

Jens Grivolla <j-news2002-11@grivolla.de> writes:
> I am looking for a good presentation program (something like
> PowerPoint) for Linux.  So far I have been using mostly Star-
> /Openoffice which is kind of OK, but would be interested in
> alternatives.  I have been using LaTeX (which I use for word
> processing), too, but I don't think it is really the most appropriate
> tool for making slides.

People pointed out to me a long time ago that popular PDF viewers,
including the non-free acroread and the free xpdf, have full-screen
produces PDF as a base for doing presentations, which is a win.

> I think that using SVG might be good in order to have an open format
> that can be used for beamer-presentations, slides, as well as web
> publishing.  Some quick googling showed me that such solutions do
> exist, but I'd like some recommendations before I try them wildly.

If you're into using buzzword-compliant poorly-supported tools, I've
played with the DocBook Slides DTD and found it useful for simple
presentations that don't require graphics.  (It probably accomodates
graphics fine too, but I haven't tried hard to import anything besides
SVG, and the last time I tried there weren't good SVG tools; now
sodipodi at least looks passable.)  The downside is that you need to
do XSLT hacking to turn your XML into what you want it to look like.
You'll need an XSLT processor and the libfop-java package to convert
XSL to PDF.

	-- Abra Mitchell