Re: SVG-based presentation program?

Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> writes:

> Jens> Hi, I am looking for a good presentation program (something like
> Jens> PowerPoint) for Linux.
>
> There are several packages for making nice slides with LaTeX.  The best
> one I've seen so far is prosper (available as a Debian package).  If you
> use Acrobat Reader as your viewer, you get a few nice transitions too
> (although I personally find transitions a waste of time).

Very nice.  I might seriously reconsider using LaTeX, especially
because formulas are really a pita when using anything else.  So far I
had only been using the "dull kind" of LaTeX slides, having nice
templates makes all the difference for me.

I will have to look at the possibilities of the Acrobat Reader, too,
unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a dual screen mode as I
recently saw with somebody's PowerPoint presentation.

> Jens> Do you think that using SVG is a good idea?  If so, what good
> Jens> (easy to use) authoring tools are there?
>
> sodipodi (available as a Debian package) is the only Linux-based editor
> I know of.

It looks pretty nice (according to the web page), but isn't of course
optimized for slide presentations.  I will keep it in mind though as a
vector graphics program.

> The situation looks even worse for viewers, though.  Mozilla's SVG
> support is not very good, and you would probably need to build it
> yourself, since the Debian packages (and the mozilla.org binaries) don't
> include it.  There is a beta version of Adobe's plugin, though, that you
> may be able to make work.

The Adobe plugin is working here with Mozilla/Galeon.  But of course
this is far from being a good presentation program.

Ciao,
   Jens