Re: amavis install w/ exim

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 07:09:04PM +0100, Ramin Motakef wrote......

> I think this instruction are only valid for Exim4. For Exim3 use
> README.exim.old.
>
> I also found that amavis-ng works better. You have to adjust paths and
> permissions to make it work.

I've unintalled amavis-exim and installed amavis-ng (my Exim is version
3.36). I've made the changes that seem appropriate, but it still isn't
catching the Eicar test line in an email (yet putting that same line in
a file and scanning it with clamscan does catch it).

Here's how I've configured things:

In /etc/amavis/amavis-conf:

1.  I uncommented 'mail-transfer-agent = Exim'
2.  I uncommented 'virus-scanner = CLAM'
3.  I changed Notify section to 'local domain = .*hawkwood', which is
the name of my LAN since I don't have a FQDN.  I made similar changes to
postmaster and admin
4.  I made a change 'UID=amavis' and 'GID=amavis' instead of the default
'mail'.

In /etc/exim/exim.conf:

1.  I added amavis to 'trusted_users' using a colon after mail
2.  I added the following to the Transports Section

amavis:
  driver = pipe
  command = "/usr/sbin/amavis -f <${sender_address}> -d ${pipe_addresses}"
  prefix =
  suffix =
  check_string =
  escape_string =
# for debugging change return_output to true
  return_output = true
  return_path_add = false
  user = amavis
  group = amavis
  path = "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
#  current_directory = "/var/amavis"
  current_directory = "/var/spool/amavis"

3.  I added the following to the beginning of Directors Configuration:

amavis_director:
  condition = "${if eq {$received_protocol}{scanned-ok} {0}{1}}"
  driver = smartuser
  transport = amavis

And that's it.  All of this is directly from the README.exim that came
with Amavis in /usr/share/doc/amavis-ng and some of the uncommenting is
just common sense.

Yet I find my common sense is lacking as I can't get this baby to scan
my email.  What am I overlooking?  It seems straightforward or is it
that I'm just twisted?  :-)

Thanks
Kevin

--