Re: Which ICQ Client is better?

on Sun, 17 Nov 2002 05:04:38PM -0500, Stephen Gran insinuated:
> This one time, at band camp, Nori Heikkinen said:
> > on Sun, 17 Nov 2002 08:49:36PM +0000, Colin Watson insinuated:
> > > Firstly, don't be in / when grabbing source packages. :) You don't
> > > need to be root, either.
> >
> > well, i have needed to be of late, and just haven't worried about it
> > recently ... whenever i try to run apt as myself, i get the following:
> >
> > orange:~> apt-get install foo
> > E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission
> > denied)
> > E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are
> > you root?
> >
> > reinstalling apt doesn't seem to help, either.
>
> apt-get install won't let you do it as a user, but apt-get source will
> download the source - this is because you're not actually installing
> anything to the system.

okay, this is good to know.  i guess then my /etc/apt/sources.list is
borked?  because i get this every time:

orange:~> apt-get source centericq -t unstable
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Could not open file
/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7emadduck_internal_._Packages -
open (13 Permission denied)
E: Could not open file
/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7emadduck_stage_._Packages -
open (13 Permission denied)
E: Could not open file
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.tod.net_debian_dists_testing_contrib_binary-i386_Packages
- open (13 Permission denied)

> Hmmm . . . builds fine here.  Do you have a reasonably high speed net
> connection?  If you do, I recommend pbuilder for rebuilding packages.
> Just install it, edit /etc/pbuilderrc to build for the distro you want,
> and add /usr/sbin/pbuilder to your list of sudo-able powers
> (/etc/sudoers).  Change into centericq-4.8.7, and type `pdebuild` -
> it'll chroot itself, get all the dependencies, and then builds it for
> you.  Nice.

sounds cool ... i'm still getting permisson errors, though, and i
think it's because i grabbed the source as root.  i just trashed it
all and am going to try to get it as myself, but the above errors
appear to be prohibitive ...

thanks again, all!

</nori>

--