Re: OT: USR Modem troubles

I don't think this is necessarily off topic. I too had the same problem,
but it went away when I changed my init string or upgraded the modem's
onboard code, I can't remember which.

You can test init strings with hyperterm, minicom or other such programs.

The atix where x is a number should help you find out what type of modem
you have (ati0 and ati3 may be the most useful). You may want to look at
the error correction or compression options on your modem.

AT followed by:
&k0 Data compression disabled
&k2 Data compression enabled
&k3 MNP5 compression disabled
(I remember one of those was required for some 1200 baud users of my BBS)
&m0 Normal mode, error control disabled
&m4 normal/ARQ (error control)
&m5 ARQ mode (error control)

AT$ and at&$ ma help you find modem commands.

Useful init strings from the manual of my old sportster:
atz resets modem to NVRAM profile selected by Y command
atz1 resets modem to NVRAM profile 0
atz2 Resets modem to NVRAM profile 1
atz3 resets modem to factory default profile 0

     Drew Daniels