OT: USR Modem troubles

Hi all: sorry to bug you all about this, but I thought I would throw
it out to those with more experience.

I've got a USR external 56K modem...a little Sportster job, I think.
Anyway, regardless of whether I boot into Linux or Windows, I have to
dial-up anywhere from once to >10 times before I can connect with the
ISP.  It dials, I get the initial noises right, and then when it works
it goes on to it's "bung bung bung eer kschhh" noise like normal.  The
majority of the time, though, I hear the initial discussion it has with the
ISP, there is a little blip, a lot of fuzz, then it starts over again
with it's initial discussion.  It cycles through that about 3 times
and then gives up.  So I just keep waiting to hear the blip, hang up,
and redail, 'cuz I know when I hear the blip it isn't going to work.
As this happens in Windows and Linux, I'm guessing it is the modem.
There is no pattern to it (not like every fifth time...seems random),
and doesn't seem to be affected if I turn off the modem, let it "rest"
then flip it back on.  Is there a bad chip in there?  Should I replace
the modem?  I'm not against purchasing a new chip and then borrowing a
soldering iron if that would be cheaper...  Ideas?

Jeff

--
Jeff Maxson
jbmaxson@surfglobal.net