autofs deleted reiserfs (root) partition

I tried intalling autofs to automount cdroms.
I set as the mount point / and the key as cdrom.
After stoping and starting it, the system got stuck with some error
(didn't think it was very important at the time so I don't know what it
is), so I pressed reset.
When it came back up reiserfs replayed the log and then I got the
message Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.
I tried rebooting into the same kernel and also into an older kernel,
the kernel started up, and a bit after the line:
freeing unused kernel memory ...
I got the same error message.
When trying to access the partition using rfstool from the windows, or
by running kernel from instellation disk and then mounting the partion,
it seems that it is completly empty. The only files are . and ..
I was running woody and a single reiserfs partition using a custom
2.4.18 kernel.
Any idea if there is a way to save the data on the disk?