Re: [OT] Moving away from KDE to what?

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 09:04:43AM -0700, Dan Owens wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 06:46:46AM -0700, Dan Owens wrote:
> > > On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Chip Rose wrote:
> > >
> > > Another thing you might want to check is if your hard drive needs dma
> > > turned on.  What speed does "hdparm -t /dev/hda" give you?
> >
> > /dev/hda:
> >  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 18.06 seconds =  3.54 MB/sec
> >
> > >  Most of the
> > > debian kernels don't have dma turned on and will give very poor perfomance
> > > with data transfers, starting programs, etc.  Windows turns dma on by
> > > defualt.

my question - why doesnt debian turn dma on by default? dont we like fast machines?

> Yes, you probably need to turn it on.  There are two basic ways to
> accomplish this.  One is to use a kernel with dma and ultradma turned on.
> You can compile your own or upgrade to a debian kernel that does this
> (2.4.19, as far as I know) or you can use a script to turn it on at boot
> time with hdparm.

one small question - how do i know which kernel version am i using? i could not find anything that looks like kernel and has a version number of 2.4.19 in dselect

> Please make sure to read the man pages for hdparm, as I am not an expert
> in hard drive optimization.  The hdparm readme (/usr/share/doc/hdparm)
> also mentions using -c for best perfomance, but I haven't tried that.

i have done that and there is significant improvement in performance. here is my output of hdparm -t /dev/hda:

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  3.58 seconds = 17.88 MB/sec

thanx a ton. does a discussion like this better suited in installation manuals of debian?

thanx again.

sandip p deshmukh

I would like to know
What I was fencing in