Re: [OT] Moving away from KDE to what?

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 06:46:46AM -0700, Dan Owens wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Chip Rose wrote:
>
> Another thing you might want to check is if your hard drive needs dma
> turned on.  What speed does "hdparm -t /dev/hda" give you?

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 18.06 seconds =  3.54 MB/sec

do i need to turn dma on?

>  Most of the
> debian kernels don't have dma turned on and will give very poor perfomance
> with data transfers, starting programs, etc.  Windows turns dma on by
> defualt.

and how do i turn it on? once turned on, will it always remain turned on or will i have to turn on?

thanx

sandip p deshmukh

Wow, I'm being shot at from both sides.  That means I *must* be right.  :-)
             -- Larry Wall in <199710211959.MAA18990@wall.org>