Re: [OT] Moving away from KDE to what?

Sandip P Deshmukh said:

> my question - why doesnt debian turn dma on by default? dont we like fast
> machines?

safety. Theres a lot of systems out there that do not support DMA
or the driver is not mature enough. My mom's CTX laptop for example
will lock up hard if DMA is turned on. I stopped using the IDE on
VIA chipsets more then 2 years ago because of DMA problems(I now
use Promise ATA/100 PCI cards instead). I think its a good idea
to ship with it disabled though it would be nice if it was easier
to turn on for the newbies.

> one small question - how do i know which kernel version am i using? i
> could not find anything that looks like kernel and has a version number of
> 2.4.19 in dselect

the version you are running *now* can be determined from:

uname -a

(or more specifically uname -r)

> thanx a ton. does a discussion like this better suited in installation
> manuals of debian?

not sure, I've never really used hdparm myself, I compile my own
kernels and enable DMA in the kernels themselves(2.2.19) if I need
them. Haven't played much with 2.4.x kernels yet.

nate