Re: argh! aptitude/dselect/apt-get dieing????

Mark A. Bialik wrote:

> ... and there are some people who run unstable because certain packages
> and/or versions of packages they need are only in unstable.
>
> The alternative would be to run a different distribution or compile from
> source, and we wouldn't want that, would we?  :)

What's wrong with compiling from source? If you download the Debian
source package, it should have everything you need to build a proper
deb package, so what's the problem? Even if you don't build a deb, you
just install to /usr/local, and as long as you don't break any of the
app's dependencies, it should work fine.

Quite often, an unstable package will install on testing or stable
without change, and function properly. Sometimes you may have to drag a
few libraries along. In that case, you don't even need to build from
source. Just download the debs and install them, and off you go.

I run unstable because I like having things change under me all the time
and I know enough to deal with most of the problems that may arise. I
also do daily backups and store them elsewhere. If I didn't think my
skills were adequate, and/or I had no backups, then I'd run testing.

Craig