Re: argh! aptitude/dselect/apt-get dieing????

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 02:22:25AM -0600, Mark A. Bialik wrote:
> Brian Nelson wrote:
> > The problem is simply that the library file was misnamed to
> > libstdc++libc6.2-2.so.3.
>
> This may be easy enough for some people to fix, but how exactly do
> explain to the common man how to fix it when the basic tools (dselect
> and apt-get) no longer work?

You explain to the common man not to use unstable. :)

It *certainly* shouldn't have broken in the first place, but accidents
happen. If one doesn't have enough system administration experience to
cope with this kind of thing (after all, it was "just" everything
written in C++ that broke, not, say, the dynamic linker as I'm told used
to happen, or PAM preventing all logins, or ...), then unstable is
really not the distribution one should be running.

This may sound callous, but those "some people" - or at least those
people who *can* fix it, perhaps not trivially easily - are the only
people who should be using unstable.

Cheers,