Re: (semi-OT) JPG files -> Movie file

hiya,

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 06:47:43PM -0800, nate wrote:
> well for now I think I have to settle on imagemagick. it can
> convert a bunch of images(even jpeg) to an animated gif. I
> installed ucbmpeg, and also mjpegtools but both immediately
> segfault when processing the first JPG file. Actually I
> was able to get mjpegtools to create a YUV file without
> errors, but once I tried to convert that to MPEG it segfaulted.

are you sure this wasn't because there was an error in your config
file (like wrong size, etc.)?  i've had mpeg_encode segfault
on me a few times, but usually when i gave it incorrect information
to begin with.  attached is a really simple example config
that i use as a template for all the movies that i make.

also, it might be because of some wierd non-standard format
inside the jpeg or something (though i've never seen this).
if nothing else works, i'd try converting the image to another
format like ppm (imagemagick is sweet for this) and trying to encode
from that.

--sean
# test parameter file

PATTERN		IBBPBBPBBPBBPBB

OUTPUT		balltrack-0.1.mpeg
GOP_SIZE	30
SLICES_PER_FRAME	1

# replace with file format, i recommend ppm or jpeg
BASE_FILE_FORMAT	PPM
# replace with dimensions of image
YUV_SIZE	160x120

INPUT_CONVERT	*
INPUT_DIR	.

# replace with an expression that matches your filename, where
# the star is where the numbers are.  put the range of images to
# encode inside square brackets after the file name.  note that
# if your image numbers are zero-padded they should be here too.
INPUT
img.*.ppm	[0020-1889]
END_INPUT

# quality parameters
# (haven't messed around with these enough to know much)

IQSCALE		8
PQSCALE		10
BQSCALE		25

# motion vector search parameters