(semi-OT) JPG files -> Movie file

hello

I am in the process of learning perl, one of my first "real" scripts
is a script that goes to weather.com and grabs the current temp
and humidity and the radar report for a zip code so I can graph
it in mrtg(http://mrtg.aphroland.org/temperature/). I was wondering
if there is any way to merge multiple .jpg files to form a sort of
movie/animation? I think it would be cool to save all the data from
like the past 500 retrievals(so 500 .JPGs) and make a movie so I
could see the weather patterns(according to radar) in motion.

I coulda swore i've seen software to do this in the past, but
looking at freshmeat I couldn't find anything. and running
a couple searches in apt-cache(i'm on woody) doesn't turn
up much either.

perhaps something to convert to motion jpeg? or mpeg? or avi?
(would prefer mpeg-1 due to it's portability but i'll take
anything).

thanks

nate