Re: (semi-OT) JPG files -> Movie file

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 00:39 -0800, nate wrote:
> I am in the process of learning perl, one of my first "real" scripts
> is a script that goes to weather.com and grabs the current temp
> and humidity and the radar report for a zip code so I can graph
> it in mrtg(http://mrtg.aphroland.org/temperature/). I was wondering
> if there is any way to merge multiple .jpg files to form a sort of
> movie/animation? I think it would be cool to save all the data from
> like the past 500 retrievals(so 500 .JPGs) and make a movie so I
> could see the weather patterns(according to radar) in motion.
>
> I coulda swore i've seen software to do this in the past, but
> looking at freshmeat I couldn't find anything. and running
> a couple searches in apt-cache(i'm on woody) doesn't turn
> up much either.
>
> perhaps something to convert to motion jpeg? or mpeg? or avi?
> (would prefer mpeg-1 due to it's portability but i'll take
> anything).

Hi, I've only tried something like this a few times but mencoder which
comes with mplayer can do this.  If you have a bunch of jpgs in a dir
you could do  `mencoder \*.jpg -mf on:fps=3 -o output.avi -ovc lavc`
and it will make a video of it.  i'm not absolutely sure but I think
mencoder can output only to an avi container, however it can contain
video in mjpeg, mpeg1, or avi.