Re: [OT] Practical differences between Netgear models

* Jeff (jcoppock1@attbi.com) [021112 15:08]:
> Jonathan Matthews, 2002-Nov-12 17:44 +0000:
> > Evening all -
> >
> > I'm looking to take my home network up to 100Mbps,
> > and I wondered if anyone could give me a clue
> > as to the difference between a couple of netgear
> > models that I've seen advertised at a fairly decent
> > price (~35UKP+tax, I think)
> >
> > I'm looking at the FS105 & FS108, versus the
> > FS608.

> The only difference is the number of ports.  They are part of the
> FS100 series.  There is also a 16 port model, the FS116.

Well, that is the difference between the FS105 and the FS108, but I
think the OP was asking for the differences between those and the FS608.
AFAICT, the biggest difference is the case styling.  The FS608 also has
auto MDI-X sensing on all ports, which is nice if you're doing uplinking
and have tangles of cross-over and straight-through ethernet cables in
your closet all hand-made from the same spool (hence the same color) and
with no labels... but it's probably not too big a deal.  Certainly it
doesn't make any difference once you're all set up and running; it would
only matter while trying to get everything plugged in right.

The FS10x had the ports on the front, the 60x has them on the back.  It
looks like the 60x series has only a 3yr warranty instead of the 10x's 5
years.  That's a significant difference, though in my experience, these
things just don't quit.  3 years, 5 years .. they just keep on going.

It looks to me like these are probably exactly the same on the inside,
but the 60x series has a newly-designed case.  I'm surprised the new
name doesn't include an 'i' or an 'e' =)

So if the looks or the warranty don't mean anything to you, just buy the
cheaper one.

good times,
Vineet
--