Newbie: where to place src files for compilation

I just need a tip about where to place source files.
I downloaded the kernel sources (kernel-source-2.4.18)
and the kernel-headers (kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf.2.4) via dselect.
So they are now in /usr/src. I read somewhere that it's not a good
idea to place them directly below /usr/src.
Can anyone give me a good hint where to put (extract) the sources
and how the final directory structure should look like?

I'm about to install the dri driver for the ati rage 128, but
compilation fails (since the kernel-header sources are not available).

Is it usually a good approach to manually change the makefile such
that the compiler will find the headers or is there any better way
(like using the compiler's search path and only providing a link
to the sources)?

If anybody knows some documentation/books about it,
please let me know where to find it.

Thanks in advance,
Holger

Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit