Re: Newbie: where to place src files for compilation

    "Holger" == Holger Wiechert <holger.wiechert@web.de> writes:

    Holger> I just need a tip about where to place source files.  I
    Holger> downloaded the kernel sources (kernel-source-2.4.18) and
    Holger> the kernel-headers (kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf.2.4) via
    Holger> dselect.  So they are now in /usr/src. I read somewhere
    Holger> that it's not a good idea to place them directly below
    Holger> /usr/src.  Can anyone give me a good hint where to put
    Holger> (extract) the sources and how the final directory
    Holger> structure should look like?

On Debian it actually makes sense to put the sources in your home
directory and use fakeroot and sudo to do any work that requires root
access.

    Holger> I'm about to install the dri driver for the ati rage 128,
    Holger> but compilation fails (since the kernel-header sources are
    Holger> not available).

    Holger> Is it usually a good approach to manually change the
    Holger> makefile such that the compiler will find the headers or
    Holger> is there any better way (like using the compiler's search
    Holger> path and only providing a link to the sources)?

    Holger> If anybody knows some documentation/books about it, please
    Holger> let me know where to find it.

Be sure to install kernel-package and then read the docs in
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package carefully. In particular you might want
to spend the time to understand the README.headers file there.

Debian is a little different from all the other distributions I have
used (Slackware mostly, some time on SLS, RH, SuSE) as far as kernel
installations go. As usual, Debian seems to be the one that works best
as you get used to it.

Cheers!
Shyamal