Re: [OT] Moving away from KDE to what?

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 04:08 am, Alex Polite wrote:
> I visited my mother last week to help her setup her DSL
> connection. While doing so I realized that her Windows 2000 350 MHz
> box is a lot more responsive then my Debian/GNU/KDE 500 MHz box.
>
> So out goes KDE.
>
> I tried out the minimalistic ratpoison an ion wms and kind of like
> them. At least they are fast. But they don't handle apps like gimp or xmms
> to well. Now I'm looking something in  the middle ground.
===========

My wife's Windows98 computer is a LOT faster than my Debian3.0/KDE computer
also.  Her's is a 1.3ghz with 512mb RAM and my is only a 450mhz with 128mb
RAM, but her computer *instantly* loads any program and runs many at the same
time with no slowdown.  I know that her hardware is more powerful, but it's
like night and day.  Mine thrashes around for 30 seconds trying to load
Mozilla, and about 5+ seconds to load KMail, under KDE.  Of course mine is
much more stable (uptime now 22 days) as Win98 box can't go for more than 1-2
days without needing a reboot.  I still love Linux because it's more stable,
and Debian in particular, but is there any way to speed it up?  Will using
something other than KDE do it?
 - Chip