Re: [OT] Moving away from KDE to what?

-- Alex Polite <m2@plusseven.com> wrote
(on Tuesday, 12 November 2002, 10:08 AM +0100):
> I visited my mother last week to help her setup her DSL
> connection. While doing so I realized that her Windows 2000 350 MHz
> box is a lot more responsive then my Debian/GNU/KDE 500 MHz box.
>
> So out goes KDE.
I discovered the same thing (both with KDE and GNOME) on my debian
366MHz box about a year and a half ago. When I started switching wms, I
discovered where my performance had gone... KDE and GNOME are great, but
they certainly slow a system down.

> I tried out the minimalistic ratpoison an ion wms and kind of like
> them. At least they are fast. But they don't handle apps like gimp or xmms to
> well. Now I'm looking something in  the middle ground.
>
> Here are the requirements:
>
> 1) Must be able to "maximize window to available space" a la
>    enlightenment.
>
> 2) Must support multiple sequence key bindings a la emacs.
>
> 3) Must be fast.
>
> 4) Must be faster.
I've been quite happy with blackbox+bbkeys for around a year now. And
it's incredibly fast, even with all the apps I load on init (Phoenix, a
rox window, idesk, gkrellm, bbpager, an aterm with screen...).

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net