Re: [OT] Moving away from KDE to what?

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 09:55:37AM -0500, Chip Rose wrote:
> My wife's Windows98 computer is a LOT faster than my Debian3.0/KDE
> computer also.  Her's is a 1.3ghz with 512mb RAM and my is only a
> 450mhz with 128mb RAM, but her computer *instantly* loads any program
> and runs many at the same time with no slowdown.  I know that her
> hardware is more powerful, but it's like night and day.  Mine thrashes
> around for 30 seconds trying to load Mozilla, and about 5+ seconds to
> load KMail, under KDE.

If "thrashes" is accurate, look at what's eating your memory. It makes a
huge difference. KDE sounds like a pretty good candidate to look at
first.

My laptop is only slightly faster than your machine, at 600MHz, but it
can start Mozilla in about three seconds out of cache, and somewhat
longer if Mozilla hasn't been started recently. The fact that I use no
desktop environment, a fairly light window manager (sawfish), and have
320Mb of RAM probably has something to do with that.

I understand KDE, being heavily dependent on C++, will benefit from a
technique called prelinking when that gets fully deployed. That depends
on several rather complicated things that are in the pipeline for
unstable.