exim, delivery to /home/user instead of /var/mail/user

Hi,

i'm trying to install a mail server but i'm stuck with exim.
I run fetchmail and exim gets the mail from fetchmail
(running as a daemon). I have 2 users on the system
and my /etc/fetchmailrc contains 2 pop lines to check the
mail from the users.

1)I run fetchmail in daemon mode as root:
root      9557  0.0  0.6  1996  984 ?       S    01:44
0:00 /usr/bin/fetchmail --daemon 300 --syslog -f /etc/fetchmailrc -i

and the /etc/fetchmailrc file is owned by root:
-rw-------    1 root     root    290 Nov 12 01:43 fetchmailrc

I hope this isn't a problem for users to get their mail because
when i log in as a normal user and do
/etc/init.d/fetchmail awaken, i get this response:
"Awakening mail retrieval agent: system-wide fetchmail not configured."
Is this normal behaviour when running fetchmail as root?
Will it still get mail for non root users?

2)Exim receives the mailes for both users but puts the mail
in /var/spool/mail/input.
I tried changing this, hoping it would endup in
/var/mail/user1 en /var/mail/user2 but this isn't happening.

I then found something in the list on it and changed this
line from my exim.conf (local delivery part)
    file = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}

too this:
   directory = /home/${local_part}/Maildir
   maildir_format

However, the mails still end up in /var/spool/exim/input
How can i change this and split the mails to /home/user1
and /home/user2 ?

Next step will be to forward the mail to procmail and
according to the ~/.procmail file, sort it and put it in the correct
directories.
I need this for my debian-mailing lists :-)

Last step (but that's when everything else works) is to
install a imap server on the server so i can check my
mail from work.

Kind regards,
Benedict