Re: exim, delivery to /home/user instead of /var/mail/user

    "Benedict" == Benedict Verheyen <linux4bene@pandora.be> writes:

    Benedict> Hi, i'm trying to install a mail server but i'm stuck
    Benedict> with exim.  I run fetchmail and exim gets the mail from
    Benedict> fetchmail (running as a daemon). I have 2 users on the
    Benedict> system and my /etc/fetchmailrc contains 2 pop lines to
    Benedict> check the mail from the users.

Make sure your pop lines have a "is 'userx' here" line to get the mail
to the right users.

    Benedict> I then found something in the list on it and changed
    Benedict> this line from my exim.conf (local delivery part)
    Benedict>   file = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}

    Benedict> too this:
    Benedict>   directory = /home/${local_part}/Maildir
    Benedict>   maildir_format

Don't do this. There is no need to. Leave exim configured the way
Debian expects things to be (mail in /var/spool/main/...)

    Benedict> Next step will be to forward the mail to procmail and
    Benedict> according to the ~/.procmail file, sort it and put it in
    Benedict> the correct directories.  I need this for my
    Benedict> debian-mailing lists :-)

If you used eximconfig to generate the exim.conf file you already have
procmail support. All you need to do is make sure that fetchmail
actually delivers your mail to the right local user identity. If that
user has a ~/.procmailrc file exim will use it.

In general: run eximconfig and choose the right option for yourself
(probably the "smarthost" option if all your mail is sent to a SMTP
server at your ISP and you use fetchmail to get your mail). After
that, do not mess with the exim.conf file more than you have to.

    Benedict> Last step (but that's when everything else works) is to
    Benedict> install a imap server on the server so i can check my
    Benedict> mail from work.

Don't move things around too much, otherwise you will simply end up
configuring your imap server more than you would otherwise have to ;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal