Re: pipe attachments in mutt

This one time, at band camp, Sandip P Deshmukh said:

> > > works perfectly! opens xpdf and the file
> >
> > Well in that case, the problem almost certainly lies with mutt, because
> > `see' is a program to call the appropriate mailcap entry.  (You can test
> > again by trying to look at a pdf file in lynx, though.)
> >
> > When mutt shows you the raw file (all those indecipherable characters) does
> > it show any kind of error like `no matching mailcap entries found'?
>
> i will just repeat what i did. got to the message that has an pdf attachment
> hit v
> choose the pdf attachment
> hit enter
> a window opens with ascii characters like % 5 m and so on. but you are not reading a pdf
> document
> no error is shown
> hit q to quit

This looks like `less` is being called, as nothing else matches, and
less sometimes adds itself as a default viewer for unmatched application
types.  I would try adding a correct .mailcap for your account, and when
you have it working correctly, add it into /etc/mailcap.
|Stephen Gran                  | Who's on first?                               |
|steve@lobefin.net             |                                               |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                               |