Re: broadcom lan

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 12:06:56AM +1000, mdevin wrote:
> I have found a driver for the card called Broadcom 4400 in the 2.5.47
> kernel.  Now that I can get the b44.c and b44.h files, is it possible to
> place these in the right place in my 2.4 kernel source tree so that they
> will compile?

No, since the configuration options for the kernel are not updated by
just adding files to the source tree.  You would manually have to add
that information to one of the files in the kernel source distribution
in order for that option to show up in 'make config'.

> Can I compile the module separately and try plugging it into my already
> compiled kernel?  How do you compile a module separately?

You can try this, but I highly advise against it.  The development
kernel is way different from the stable (well, 2.4 is MOSTLY
stable...:-)) kernel.  It might work, it might fail horribly.  I suggest
that you either:

1)  Get a new NIC that's supported under Linux
2)  Backport that driver to the 2.4.18 kernel (or whatever kernel
version you're using)
3)  Wait until somebody else backports it
4)  Wait until version 2.6 comes out until you can use the network card

I suggest that you just get a good, Linux supported network card.  The
prices for such cards are starting to fall, and it's easy to get a
decent card for a decent price.

(Information on how to compile modules separately has been removed for
protection of the innocent kernel.)

Just my 2 cents,

Edward Guldemond

GPG Key: 0x4E505B0F
Key fingerprint:  4CAC 6740 C1CD 3CE4 6CA0
                  34E9 B3B7 18EC 4E50 5B0F