Re: ./configure

hiya,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 10:40:52AM -0500, alex wrote:
> Here's my procedure prior to ./configure
>
> 1.  Download the tar package to  /home/downloads
> 2.  cd /home/downloads
> 3.  tar -vzxf tarpackage
> 4.  ls (to make sure the untarred package is in /home/downloads)
> 5.  cd package
> 6.  ./configure
>
> With some downloaded tar packages, the procdure works fine but
> with some I get the response that there's no such file or
> directory.

this is a very package-specific process.  some programs have a configure
script with a different name (like config), and others don't have
one at all, and others yet may expect you to do other stuff before running
'make'.  my best advice is to look for a file called INSTALL (or failing
that, README) in the extracted directory, which should have specific
instructions to follow.  then again, if the package already exists in
debian, i'd reccommend installing with apt-get instead, as it will be
easier to upgrade and/or remove later on.

hth
--sean