Re: ./configure

On Monday 11 November 2002 16:40, alex wrote:
alex  > I'm have a problem with ./configure in that I sometimes
alex  > get a response like this:
alex  > bash:  ./configure:  No such file or directory
alex  >
alex  > Here's my procedure prior to ./configure
alex  >
alex  > 1.  Download the tar package to  /home/downloads
alex  > 2.  cd /home/downloads
alex  > 3.  tar -vzxf tarpackage
alex  > 4.  ls (to make sure the untarred package is in /home/downloads)
alex  > 5.  cd package
alex  > 6.  ./configure
alex  >
alex  > With some downloaded tar packages, the procdure works fine but
alex  > with some I get the response that there's no such file or
alex  > directory.
alex  >
alex  > What am I missing or doing wrong?  I've read instructions that
alex  > say to download to a suitable directory? Is /home/downloads a
alex  > 'suitable directory'?

It's normal I think sometimes programs do not come with a configure script...
Just check there is one in your directory before running ./configure. If you
do not see one , it probably means you can compile right away.

François