Re: [xine] No NAV button

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 22:23:29 -0500, Travis Crump wrote:

xine-dvdnav 0.9.8 isn't compatible with xine 0.9.13. If you look at the messages that spew out when you start xine you will notice it complain about an input plugin api mismatch. Upgrade xine-dvdnav to the unstable version(0.9.13). [You already appear to be running the unstable version of xine-ui and libxine0 though which makes this stranger...]

Thanks. I use the unstable version for xine because of a bug (I don't
remember which one) in testing. I installed xine-dvdnav only yesterday,
but I didn't remember that I used unstable for xine.

If there is a version mismatch, shouldn't it be indicated with a
dependency?

Probably, the problem is that when the mantainer made the 0.9.8 xine-dvdnav, he had no idea that the input plugin API would eventually change and hence he had no idea that he would need to conflict with libxine0 >= 0.9.11. One solution would be for libxine0 versions after the API change to conflict with plugins that were made for the old api, but this would probably be an unreasonable burden on the libxine0 mantainer[though in this case the same person mantains both so it wouldn't be that unreasonable]. And if you need a more detailed explanation, you'll have to get it from someone more knowledgeable than me. :) Someone will probably come along and point out why this really is a bug in one of the packages. :)